Wednesday 15 June 2011

Life is yours to live.

Today's blog in contrast to yesterdays will be viscous, full and all together, likely uninteresting to many, yet entertaining and valuable to some. 
Real smiles where chased and thrown and caught and fun was had, yet during the exchanges and the moments of  joy, where moments of deep thought and reflection and remembrance. Thoughts for those very close to us whom may see such times as far off and unachievable in this time of pure tragedy, because it is not just a saying, we are literally "thinking of them every moment of every day". 
Our smiles began on an unexpected visit to an ice cream parlor in Seaham. It's a 1950's diner called Lickety Splits and the decor certainly fits the period: a jukebox playing in the corner, dated coca cola advertisements fill the red and white striped wall space and we are presented with every ice cream flavor you could ever imagine. A child's fantasy, my fantasy. 
They had HANNAH MONTANA flavour ice-cream, I believe this alone sets scope for your great minds to ponder upon the variety presented. 
They also sold classic diner snacks too, i.e. hotdogs/burgers etc. I chose a cheese and pickle wrap, if I'm honest I was already nervous about the cheese part anyways, however when it was served, Im pretty sure my cholesterol level upped a few points by me just looking at it. Yes I was scared of the cheese overload in front of me, yes I am going on holiday on Monday, so yes, I will have to fast tomorrow! But so what, it was delicious and worth tomorrows pain :). 
 I will post a link to their website below, so if you ever happen to be near.....lickety split it:


On the way home, conversation turned to an old mariners house near where my friend lives. She claims it to be "haunted", and recounted some stories of a little girl who used to live there who, theoretically, haunts the place. Apparently the door of this old cottage is often just left wide open, the staircase is directly opposite the door. There have been sightings of the youngster on the staircase, at the top of the stairs, and peeking out from behind the door. Anyways, we drove past to drop Jess off, the cottage door was closed, Jess had just informed us of the story of the cottage and it's "happenings" so when we turned around, Katy B jokingly said "Imagine if the door was open now", I drove past slowly but not suspiciously, as we assumed obviously the door would be closed, as it was literally 10 seconds ago, but NO. The door was wide open, we all screamed, Katie J in some state of hysteria, Katy B getting overtly excited about the whole thing, and me just trying to get us out of the situation. Realistically, it was fairly hilarious, and normally I love eerily unusual happenings , but I got such a great shock, I probably wasted about £7's worth of petrol attempting to get away from the cottage in first gear!!! 
It doesn't end there though, oh no...we all then decided we would gather ourselves, and calmly and slowly drive again past in order to see if we could catch sight of the "young girl". What we saw on the second approach, I can honestly say scared me more than anything has ever scared me before: what appeared to be a young girl with brown hair in rollers, was just sitting in the dark at the top of the stairs!! It took us 3 more drives round the block and back past the cottage to come to the conclusion the what we thought was the girl was in fact a giant china doll :/. Who does that? Who has a china doll perched at the top of their stairs?seriously! That in itself is pretty creepy. 

Finally, a good note to end on.....I saw something this morning, something so small and irrelevant, but it made me smile, so I thought I better share it with you all:
Approaching a zebra crossing, I notice a cat just perched at the side of the road watching the cars, so humanly, so gracefully, so elegantly. Was the cat waiting to cross? Or was the cat merely just perched, unaware of its positioning on the crossing, unaware of its positioning in the human world. However, as the car in front of mine stopped, the cat immediately crossed, perfectly, in the centre of the zebra crossing, as if he knew  that those black and white stripes aid the crossing of busier roads. Beautiful. 

xxx stay strong all

No comments:

Post a Comment